I'm now almost 29 weeks, and still no babies! Hooray!
...not that I'm not excited for their arrival, but I don't think any mom hopes for their babies to be born this early.
So the last time I wrote, I kept having contractions throughout the day, and they got to be pretty strong and frequent. That first week we were here was such a roller coaster... of events and emotions. But we had so many people come to visit and others that passed along their prayers and well-wishes, it was amazing to be on the receiving end of such love! I truly know that I'm still here, and the babies are still growing safe and sound because of those prayers.
After about 10 days on the labor and delivery floor, the doctors felt I was stable enough to get out of bed.... Only for a minute... but long enough to walk to the bathroom. It was wonderful!! I was super shaky and unsteady on my feet, and the nurse had to help me balance (crazy how fast my muscles were affected from the total bed rest), but seriously, I've never been so grateful to get up and move. The next day they even let me sit on a shower chair and have a real-life, legit shower! :) I'm telling you- the things we take for granted....
On day 12, they felt I was ready to be moved up to the antepartum/postpartum floor, and I was so excited! That meant no more constant monitoring, no caked ultrasound goo all over my belly, no waking up every half hour during the night to find the babies, no uncomfortable hospital gown, etc.
So now it's been two weeks since I've moved to this room. I have a beautiful view of the mountains from my window, I've been sleeping so much better, I get to wear my own clothes, and I feel like I have a tiny bit more freedom to move. I even get to go out for a wheelchair ride each day! :). The other day I even got my IV taken out (hallelujah). So things are going really well! My contractions have even been kept at bay as I've been on a strict regimen of a drug called nifedipine.
Of course, I still have to stay here on bedrest until the babies come, which could be tomorrow or in another couple weeks... no way to know.
But my doctor came by the other morning and told me that making it to 28 weeks was such a big deal. He said I've made it farther than anyone expected, and that my case is highly unusual in his 20 years of experience. He didn't really even think I would make it past that first day... He had previously told me that if I hadn't come in for the appt and he hadn't done an ultrasound, my water would've broken at home later that day, at not even 25 weeks, with baby A (boy) breech, with not enough time for the medications to work that would help the babies... it most likely would not have been a good outcome.
Have I mentioned how grateful and blessed we feel??
These are truly miracle babies.
Each day that passes means a better chance for these little ones. And while I'm going a little crazy being cooped up here, it's so worth it. I'm filled with so much love for them already, and I'm getting my first taste of what it means to be a mother. There's no way I could've made it this far without all the outside support, though... so so blessed. Love you all!

5 comments:
I am so glad you are doing so well! I need to stop by and see you again! Love you!
So glad to hear you are doing good! Yay! We'll keep your cute family in our prayers!
You are so cute, I am sure you don't feel that way but seriously you are adorable pregnant. We are glad to hear your body is calming down and those babies are taking a little more time to come into the world. Love you guys.
Keep hanging in there! You are awesome! And looking so cute! And boy and I glad those kiddos are still hanging in there too!
You are so beautiful! I was thinking today how you are two days away from making it to 30 weeks. Wow!! I know your situation is hard, but I admire how you are trying to make the best of it with a good attitude. We are all here for you! (Sorry, not as much as I'd like to be there... but I hope to see you again soon!)
Post a Comment