This post today is coming from the lovely room18 at IMC hospital... My home for the past week.
I'm now 25 weeks, 6 days (yes, each of those days is important to note), and am on strict hospital bed rest as we try to keep these two very little ones inside. I've had my eyes glued to the monitors as I've just had another string of stronger contractions, and I'm feeling like this is a post that better happen soon, or it won't happen at all.
This past week has turned into something I never expected for my pregnancy, and while it is the biggest trial I've experienced, there have been so many blessings, and this is a time in my life I'm sure I'll be grateful for for the strength I've found, the spirit we've felt, and all the wonderful support that has been shown toward us.
Last Thursday, I came in for a routine doctor's appointment early in the morning. Bryce had been awake most of the previous night with a migraine, so I told him to sleep in and not to worry about coming with me. I was taken back to see Dr. Porter, he asked me a few questions, and then did a quick ultrasound to check on the babies. Everything looked great, but then he seemed concerned as he saw my cervix. He did a further exam and found that I had begun to dilate, and my bag of waters was bulging through. He quickly explained how serious the situation was, told me to call Bryce, and brought in a wheelchair for me to be taken back to labor and delivery. I was in shock at first, then quickly became overwhelmed with emotion as I told Bryce what was going on and to hurry down. I got to my room, and it was a whirlwind of things going on.... Getting me changed, starting an IV, drawing blood, hooking me up to monitors, getting medications started, doctors and nurses in and out, trying to explain what was going on..... I was so relieved when Bryce made it (after getting pulled over...but no ticket!.... for going 90 mph on the way)! They gave me a shot of betamethasone to speed up the babies' lung development, then started me on magnesium sulfate right away, which is to help with their neural development. The big dose of that wiped me out almost instantly.... I was sweating, shaking, flushed, and couldn't think or see straight. Then someone from the NICU came and talked to us about babies born this early and all the statistics. That was terrible. From there, everything was a blur as I was on medications and had so much going on, and since then, each day has kind of run together.
The doctors originally told us that if we made it to 28 weeks, it would be ideal, but it seemed that no one thought I would even make it through that first day. They keep telling us even now... every day we get is a big deal. And I truly feel like we have been so blessed to have made it through almost a week. The team of doctors and nurses here are amazing... I've had the best care, and I feel so confident in the doctors and what they can do for our situation. I know that they will take every step necessary to make sure our babies have the best chance. At the same time, of course I'm still filled with worry and fear about what these next few days and weeks might hold for us. We still have a long road ahead.
So here I am, 26 weeks tomorrow... 1 full week in the hospital tomorrow...
I have been completely confined to this bed. I can't sit up straight, shower, get up to the bathroom, even turning from side to side is a process because I can't cause too much strain. I was joking with Bryce about going to the outside world, and even what the L&D floor looks like outside my door cuz I can't see anything. It's been tough, and we've had some scary moments since Thursday, and I've definitely had my moments of feeling overwhelmed and upset about the situation. But I know Heavenly Father has been watching over me. Just the fact that I happened to have a doctors appointment and found that I was dilating- that my water didn't break so unexpectedly at home is a miracle. And He's heard the prayers from so many people that care about our little family. It amazes me how much support we've received, and I've definitely felt buoyed up by all the good thoughts sent our way... So thank you!! We'll be meeting these babies very soon, and it's obvious that they are already surrounded by so much love. I feel so grateful!
A few snapshots from the past week:
A few snapshots from the past week:






No comments:
Post a Comment