Friday, June 29, 2012

anniversaries and surprises

This past Monday, Bryce and I celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary!  Woohoo!
I remember being newly married and thinking that three years sounded like a good and established number.  Probably, by three years, we'd be old pros with the marriage thing.

Well, these 3 years have gone by so fast, and I think it's safe to say we can't call ourselves pros quite yet... but we're getting there :)
I do know that after these few years, I've never been happier, felt more loved, or had such a sense of closeness in our relationship.
Each day I feel so blessed to be with Bryce.

To celebrate, we spent a few days in Park City, and it was perfect!
We got to watch movies, swim in the pool, go on a beautiful hike, ride the alpine slide, eat out at a yummy dinner, sleep in, go shopping, and spend valuable time with just the two of us.

It was so nice to recharge.
And it might be one of the last opportunities we have to really relax according to our own, uncomplicated schedules...

One small detail that made this anniversary so special, is that we have something extra to celebrate!  Actually, a couple extra things!


Yes, you're seeing that right!
We're pregnant..... with twins!!!


The backstory is a little complicated, so feel free to skip past this, but I want to be sure and write it down so I can always remember how our two little nuggets came to be.
I found out earlier this year that I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which means I have tons of tiny little cysts on each of my ovaries that have been developing for many years.  Well, those cysts make it very difficult for me to get pregnant on my own, so we consulted with a doctor and decided to try fertility drugs.  That first month, I had an ultrasound to see how things were looking, and my doctor didn't feel like I had any success on that dose, because no eggs were ready.  Bryce and I were both feeling pretty bummed, and my doctor was basically preparing us for a long process.  After a few other suspected setbacks, we made the move up north, and I scheduled an appointment with a new fertility specialist.  On mother's day (two days before the appointment), I randomly took a pregnancy test..... never imagining that I was actually pregnant!  I just knew the doctor would ask me if I had taken one recently.  Of course, it came back positive!  I couldn't believe it!!  Bryce and I were both so excited and anxious for our appointment.
The doctor saw me, congratulated me, and scheduled hcg testing (a hormone released during pregnancy).  I was supposed to take two tests 48 hours apart, but the first level came back so high that the office called me saying I didn't need to do the second.  Turns out, they suspected something very unexpected!  And we found out a few days later at an ultrasound that there were two babies cookin'! 
To say I was surprised and overwhelmed is an understatement!!  haha
Bryce and I both sat there stunned... the nurses were just laughing at our response.
I mean, how do you prepare for that news??
Twins were never something I had imagined for our family, but we feel that this is truly a blessing.  When we were getting worried about our chances of getting pregnant soon,
when we still don't know what the future might hold,
we know that this is what's right for our family, and we couldn't be happier :)
And believe me, I've already thought about pretty much anything and everything!
Including the fact that I'm going to be huuuge! haha

So here are a few other details:

I'm twelve weeks along,
feeling great (for the most part!) ... no morning sickness, just a few evenings with an unsettled stomach and bad heartburn.
We know that they are fraternal twins (thanks, clomid), because they are in two separate sacs, but we don't know their genders yet.  We'll hopefully find out that exciting news in about a month.
We have been able to hear their little heartbeats twice now.
They are the size of limes.
It sounds weird to me when girls talk about being pregnant with only one baby...
(what??  Oh yeah, I forgot, that's normal.)
I've been very tired!
And I burp a lot!  ...sorry, that's gross but true.
And finally, yes, my belly is starting to poke out a little more each week.
Here's a picture to prove it:
 

Life is so good. :)

6 comments:

Michelle and Travis said...

Congratulations to you both! That is such exciting news!!! I am very happy for you!

Jeff and Becca Bauer said...

Congrats you guys! How wonderful! :)

The Rasmussens said...

Congrats again Lauren!! I am so excited for you! You will be such a cute mom!

Anonymous said...

I love reading about all the details! I look forward to reading more. Congrats to you both!!

Aja

The Harrison's said...

Lauren...I am so extremely excited about this! You look so cute. Your right though I'm not sure two little nuggets are going to fit in there!

YAY!!

Corie said...

Babies Hoffman!!!! You need to post an updated pic of that growing belly! (So everyone can gawk at the freak show... haha.) 'Can't wait to find out what those little babies' genders are! So excited for you guys!