Wednesday, March 2, 2011

instacare date night

Bryce and I have been so busy lately that it literally took a trip to the
InstaCare for us to spend some time together... 
Not the most romantic way to do things, but we'll take what we can get!

Bryce would like this story told a little differently... you know, maybe involving a fistfight 
or something manly like that.
But the real incident is that we were taking a minute from studying (I have two midterms this week, Bryce has his securities licensing tests on Friday and Monday), and we were just trying to get the motivation to hit the books again when Bryce was washing out a glass cup.  His hand reached inside and caused the glass to shatter, and the next thing we knew we were looking down at a huge flap of his skin hanging off.  

My first reaction was, "Don't look at it!"  lol (If you don't know, Bryce sorta has a hard time with blood and needles.)  Then I tried to summon all my nursing student powers and determined we needed to see the doctor.  So we grabbed a stack of paper towels to cover it up, wrapped his hand up tight with some tape, and I instructed him to put lots of pressure on it because it was putting out a lot of blood.  Luckily, the InstaCare was empty, so we got right in.  Then came the lidocaine.  I felt so bad!  Knowing how Bryce handles these things, I thought to bring the ipod so he could have some distraction, but he was still in a lot of pain as she was numbing up the area.  But, amazingly, there was no passing out or throwing up involved!  Good job husband. :)
The Dr. was a little crazy and didn't stop talking the entire time she was stitching him up, 
but she was super friendly, and it helped to take his mind off things.
11 stitches later, and he was good to go!

 

Next time we'll try to come up with a less dramatic way to spend an evening out.


4 comments:

McFall Family said...

OUCH!!! And you didn't even pass out - you da MAN, Bryce! :)
What a great guy to be doing dishes! But, I'd say 'better stick with plastic cups.
And I'd try some other way to get attention from your wife - that's pretty drastic, even if she IS a nurse (almost)! (Good job not passing out either, Lauren! - I know, you're one tough cookie!)
At least the wound didn't have to be SCRUBBED OUT like it would've needed to be if it had been a dog bite! 'Gotta look on the bright side! :)
Truly sorry to hear about this accident, though, and I hope you both ace your exams in spite of it!
Remember what they say, What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
Feel better now?
:) love you both!

Corie said...

Oh, that is nasty! I figured this post would be accompanied by some kind of graphic picture, but I wasn't prepared. :) Oh, Bryce, that looks quite painful. I'm glad he got it stitched up and hopefully will heal in no time. Good luck on your tests! You should ask for some kind of extra credit for getting some "field work" in! Ha.

David Cottrell said...

Omg David has done that twice but didn't get cut as badly but those glasses are too fragile or our husbands are just too strong, I vote the ladder. Get better Bricey!

Kathryn McFall said...

Holy Smoley! Evalyn and I are so proud of Bryce. That is quite the cut and I'm very impressed he didn't pass out. (remembering a certain new years eve party) Watch out Lauren, Bryce has a good excuse from getting out of doing dishes. Love you guys are hope all your tests go/went well!