Friday, November 19, 2010

nursing

I'm on my way to becoming a seriously legit nurse like these ladies:


 To preface, I'm going to be honest.... I pretty much dread Fridays because that means clinicals.
I realize this probably isn't a good thing for a nursing student to feel.
But not seeing daylight at all, working 6am - 6pm, being on my feet those entire 12 hours, feeling like I'm fumbling through each week, 
and not getting paid for it.... not super enticing.

But today was a great day.
I feel like I'm making progress, and even though it's only the tip of the iceberg, I feel like I can do this.
The nurse I was assigned to be with today was amazing.  She was a fabulous teacher and made sure I knew my stuff.  Plus she had a lot of trust in me and let me do most of the tasks on my own.  I gave lots of shots, worked with lots of IV meds, took out staples, and performed assessments over and over.

Now, for experienced nurses, these things are nothing- just super easy skills.  But I'm really excited, and I feel like my hard work and studying so far is starting to pay off.  

Just wishing I didn't have to come home to an empty house for the night.... boo Bryce.

2 comments:

Kathryn McFall said...

Lauren! You are awesome! Keep up the good work and hopefully you will keep having awesome teachers who let you get lots of practice!

McFall Family said...

We are SO PROUD OF YOU, Lulu!!! We can only imagine how hard the work is that you're doing day after day! You are one tough cookie, that's for sure! You will be an excellent nurse someday, and each Friday that passes is a week closer to that reality! Love you!
P.S. Have a GREAT TIME in Wisconsin!