I realize the big move and new life hasn't been documented yet... it's been a little hard without internet access in our apartment yet, but I just couldn't wait to post these pictures as proof of our Labor Day adventures! :)
Everyone that knows Bryce and me knows that we're very afraid of heights! So when we decided to hike Angel's Landing in Zions National Park on Monday, you'd probably say we were crazy. The thing is that we weren't going into this planning on hiking to the top, but only to the first lookout area before it gets really treacherous. The trail to that point is beautiful! It was a very warm afternoon and the climb was steep, but we were really enjoying the great outdoors along the way. As we came to the lookout I was tired and ready for a break to eat some lunch, enjoy the view a little, and then turn to head back down the mountain. Well, we were both just too curious to leave it at that, so we went a little further up the trail. I should have known....
The chains along the trail began. The hike is very intense, with 800-900 ft dropoffs on both sides of the trail, so anything to help along the way is a good idea! Bryce and I got about 50 feet, and I lost it. I started freaking out and crying and making a scene... I couldn't help it! People kept passing and they tried to give me pep talks, and surprisingly it helped! For some reason, Bryce wasn't afraid at all. That meant it was all up to me, and I knew I'd regret turning around at this point. We decided to keep going. Bryce was enjoying the scenery and taking a bunch of pictures while my eyes were glued to the few feet in front of me.
After a half mile more of insanity, we finally reached the peak... We were so excited! The view was incredible, indescribable, completely worth every minute of fear to get there. We weren't in a hurry, so we sat and enjoyed the beauty for several minutes. We both felt empowered that we had made it to the top. The trip back was a breeze! Okay, not really, but it was a lot easier... I was even able to look around a few times along the way. :)
I've always said that I wouldn't survive that hike. But I'm so glad that we decided to go for it and it was amazing to share that with Bryce! I'd definitely recommend it to anyone brave enough to try!
4 comments:
Thank you, my dears, for going and taking these great photos so I don't ever have to go there myself!
Now neat that you did this TOGETHER! I'm sure this is just the beginning of the HEIGHTS you two will inspire each other to achieve!
Keep having fun, but, remember, NO SQUIRREL SUITS!!!
Love you!
Mom / Wandamere
Go, Sistafriend & Hoff!! Wow, I am amazed that you did it, especially after reading more details about how freaked out you were. But I'm glad you thought it was worth it. The pictures are amazing! Looks like you had a beautiful day. Man, I am still in disbelief that my scaredy-cat sister, Lauren, hiked Angel's Landing. :) Just kiddin. You're a tough chica! Love you guys!
I am impressed good job Lauren! I hiked a trail similar to that in Monticello except there were no chains it was freakin scary! I want to hike that someday if you'd be willing to go back up there haha!
Lauren! I'm so proud of you! I would have loved to seen your freak out!
Post a Comment